We been working hard lately with AlternativeTo but we seem to have forgotten to tell you about it here. Here’s what’s new:
- You can now filter our different startpages by license. So if you want to get a list of our most liked Open Source Linux applications or recently added free Windows applications that is now possible.
- We have a new awesome short URL that is used when you share stuff on Twitter and such. It looks like this: http://altrn.tv/fDAZwA
- It is now possible to view the entire activity history for an application or a user. You can also view the entire history of the whole site (although that would take a while). You find these links below each activity log in the sidebar.
- Lot’s of other changes have been made to the activity log to make it easier for our crew to maintain the quality of AlternativeTo.
- A page to list things like best contributor the last 30 days and all time high, our recently promoted contributors and a list of our moderators and admins.
- We implemented “meta tags” some time back that made it possible to tag a application with different tags like portable, jailbreak, and discontinued. This is a complement to our regular tag system that is a bit more “explicit”. The meta tag system is still not all done, but we have we implemented the possibility to search for apps with a specific meta tag and there’s more to come. You can either click on a specific meta tag on a app that has one or search for them yourself. So now you can get a list of all applications that are “portable apps” or require a jailbrooken iPhone.
- New design on the application page that allows you to see more info in the right sidebar.