There, we said it! We are soon out of beta and would like to let you know what features and fixes we’ve implemented since last time. Let’s get to it:
- Tabs has been added to the application page, see below for more info.
- It’s now possible to list all users who likes an application. Just click the tab on the application page.
- Comments! You can now leave a comment about an application. Maybe you want to let people know how much you like an app, ask a question about it or provide some kind of feedback about the application or its alternatives.
- No comments about the app you’re interested in on AlternativeTo? You can now click the Twitter tab and see what people are saying about the application on Twitter.
- You now have the possibility to filter alternatives by platform! As an example, this makes it possible to find “the best free mac alternatives to windows application Winzip”. Browsing applications cross-platform can be really useful for you switchers out there.
- As usual a couple of smaller tweaks and bugfixes has been made.
Thanks again for spreading the word about AlternativeTo letting us know what you think about the site. Keep the feedback coming. See you!
Since we went semi-public about a week ago we have made a lot of fixes and implemented some new features:
- You can now provide some more details about yourself when you register. These settings can of course be edited at any time later. New details include URL, your Twitter username and a short presentation.
- The new details is showing up on your new and improved profile. On your profile we also list what applications you like and what applications you have added to the system. If you change your mind regarding liking an application you now have the possiblity to “unlike” it.
- The sidebar has got some new lists like “applications in need of alternatives” and “user activity”.
- We show some more info about the user who suggested the application on the application page.
- Added a “share this” button under the “get involved” header on the application page.
- You’re now able to “like” the main application you’re browsing, not just it’s alternatives.
- We also fixed a lot of small bugs.
What is next on the to-do list?
Help us out!
Please provide us with all the feedback you have. We want to build the ultimate place to find new applications and you guys probably have lots of ideas how to improve the site and it’s functions. Send an e-mail to [email protected] with any feedback you have.
A big thanks to all you who have sent us feedback and suggested applications. Keep it up.
You either pulled off a lucky Google search or you are someone that we like! “We” are Ola and Markus from 27 Kilobyte & Ohsohightech and we have been working hard on a brand new website since a while back. Now it’s time to start letting some people try it out and hopefully provide us some much needed feedback.
Let us introduce AlternativeTo – A whole new approach to finding good software. Tell us what application you want to replace and we give you suggestions on great alternatives! Instead of listing thousands of more or less crappy applications in a category, we make each application into a category. Think of it like forever evolving blog posts about good alternatives to the applications that you’re not satisfied with. And the “blog posts” are generated by you through suggestions, comments and votes (or “likes” as we call them).
AlternativeTo is in early beta and we want feedback on everything from content, design, features and text. Send an e-mail to [email protected] or use the feedback form on the site if you have anything to tell us.
If you want to stay updated about Alternativeto then subrscribe to this blog in your favorite rss reader or follow us on Twitter:
@AlternativeTo – @raawmarkus – @olaj
Ola & Markus